Program Services is responsible for the Volunteer Services Program, which includes volunteer recruitment, orientation and program evaluation. It also provides information and assistance to facility staff responsible for the day-to-day management and supervision of facility volunteer activities.
The Volunteer Services Program is designed to assess DOCCS' need for programs and services, which can be provided by qualified community persons who will be trained and oriented to work in a correctional environment.
Facility staff manage facility volunteer records, screen prospective volunteers, and supervise volunteers and volunteer programs.
Following are a list of some of the many programs volunteers are involved in:
- Alcoholics/Narcotics/Gamblers Anonymous
- Alternatives to Violence Project
- Cultural Awareness Programs
- HIV/AIDS Programs
- Kairos Retreats
- Literacy Tutoring Programs
- Music and Drama Presentations
- Parenting Programs
- Post Secondary Education Services
- Prison Fellowship
- Residence Encounter Christ Retreats
- Student Internships
- Theatre Arts
- Transitional Services Workshops
- Veterans Programs
- Visitor Hospitality Centers
Volunteers are also involved in religious workshops and religious education classes, including:
- Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, and Islamic services
- Jehovah Witness
- Nation of Islam
- Native American
- Seventh-Day Adventist
- To increase the variety and scope of the service delivery system of DOCCS through supplemental programs offered by the community.
- To gain recognition of the volunteer as an integral component of DOCCS manpower resources.
- To increase the community's awareness and understanding of the overall goals of the correctional system.
Interested individuals must have the qualifications required for the program offered.
Volunteer Services programs and services are available at all facilities.
DOCCS has several Supervisors of Volunteer Services located across the state who have responsibility for several facilities.
Each facility has a Volunteer Services contact person managing the facility Volunteer Program and program staff supervisors responsible for specific volunteers and volunteer activities.
For more information about volunteering for DOCCS, contact the Office of Ministerial, Family and Volunteer Services at 518-402-1700.