Incarcerated individuals in Queensboro computer lab

Obtaining a DMV Photo ID

Learn how to obtain a New York State Non-Driver photo ID card, Learner's Permit or Driver's License.

You will need identification to access services and employment. Possessing sufficient identification will play an important role in your successful reintegration. 

Upon release, you will receive a New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS) Released Offender Identification Card, which card will expire 120 days from your release date. As a result, you have 120 days from release to visit a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office to apply for a Non-Driver photo ID card, Learner's Permit, or Driver's License.

When applying, you will need to provide the DMV with a valid DOCCS ID card along with the following documentation:

  • U.S. Birth Certificate.
  • Social Security Card.
  • Parole Release Papers. Offenders not released with parole papers can obtain a letter from the facility Superintendent upon release.
  • Offenders who have changed their name due to marriage must also provide their marriage certificate.

All supporting documentation should be in the same name or true name that appears on your DOCCS release ID. After you have provided the DMV with the required documentation, you will exchange your DOCCS Release ID for a Department of Motor Vehicles Non-Driver Photo ID.