In compliance with Executive Order No. 187 “Ensuring Diversity and Inclusion and Combating Harassment and Discrimination in the Workplace,” the Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI) is responsible for developing and implementing policies, procedures and programs to ensure equal employment opportunities for protected class members, as well as ensure Department compliance with the requirements of the New York State Human Rights Law, Title VI and VII of the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Equal Employment Opportunity in New York State Rights and Responsibilities.
The Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS) has developed a comprehensive five-year (2021–2025) Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategic Plan (DEI Plan) to secure diversity and inclusion principles in all the Department’s transactions regarding employees, job applicants, interns, volunteers, visitors, contractors, incarcerated individuals and parolees wherein no decision is adversely or inappropriately influenced by a person’s status as a member of a protected class, or because such person has any protected characteristics. DOCCS is also in the process of the implementation phase of the DEI Strategic Plan and coordinating with the responsible executives and programs which will perform the actions or support the Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI)’s efforts to implement the DEI Plan.
To promote fairness and equity in all aspects of departmental operations.
- Develop and implement the Department’s Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Plan.
- Develop and monitor diversity, equity, inclusion, and equal opportunity programs.
- Develop, conduct, and coordinate trainings on diversity and inclusion topics.
- Collaborate with the Bureau of Personnel to develop recruitment and community outreach activities to attract protected class members.
- Provide support to the Commissioner’s Diversity Management Advisory Council and oversight to the Department’s Diversity and Inclusion Committees.
- Provide Reasonable Accommodations for Employees, Applicants, and Incarcerated Individuals with disabilities or medical conditions.
- Provide Reasonable Accommodations of Religious Observance and Practices for Employees, Applicants, and Incarcerated Individuals.
DEI Plan Highlights
Message From Acting Commissioner Anthony J. Annucci
Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI)
Defining Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
DEI Performance Measures
DOCCS Workforce Composition Data Analysis
Corrective Actions to Eliminate Barriers in Employment: For Women
Corrective Actions to Eliminate Barriers in Employment: For Minorities
Corrective Actions to Eliminate Barriers in Employment: For Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans
Corrective Actions to Eliminate Barriers in Employment: For Transgender and LGBTIQ+ Community
Conclusion: Implementation of the DOCCS DEI Plan requires all DOCCS employees’ conscious involvement and action
New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision
Office of Diversity & Inclusion
Harriman State Campus
1220 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12226-2050
Email: [email protected]
Pursuant to Executive Order #187, effective December 1, 2018, all complaints of protected class employment discrimination by employees of New York State are investigated by the Office of Employee Relations (OER) Anti-Discrimination Investigations Division (ADID). ADID will assign an investigator to investigate, regardless of location.
Please direct all complaint related questions to [email protected] or (518) 474-1920.
Employees may also file at https://antidiscrimination.oer.ny.gov/.