Upon release, you will receive a New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS) Released Offender Identification Card, which will expire after 120 days from your release date.

You have 120 days from your release to visit a Department of Motor Vehicles' (DMV) office to apply for a Non-Driver's photo ID card, Learner's Permit, or Driver's License.

How to Apply

When applying for a Non-Driver's photo ID, Leaner's Permit, or Driver's License, you will need to provide the DMV with a valid DOCCS ID card along with the following documentation: 

  • U.S. Birth Certificate
  • Social Security Card
  • Parole Release Papers (If you are not released with Parole Papers, you can obtain a letter from the Superintendent at your facility upon release)
  • Female and male offenders who have changed their name due to marriage must also provide their marriage certificate

Supporting documentation should be in the same or true name that appears on your DOCCS Release ID.

After you have provided the DMV with the required documentation, you will exchange your DOCCS Release ID for a DMV Non-Driver's Photo ID. Possessing sufficient identification will play an important role in your successful reintegration.