Art, Handicrafts and Music activities exist in many New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision facilities. These activities are provided in an informal setting and are usually available only during the evenings and on weekends.
Incarcerated individuals are encouraged to participate in constructive leisure time activities. Waiting lists are maintained where interest exceeds available space and time, and music performances and art shows are sponsored at some facilities. Depending on the facility, programs may be available throughout the year. Further information on these programs is available from the facility Recreation Program Leader 2.
The program's goals are:
- To gain an appreciation of the visual and performing arts.
- To provide a mechanism to improve the quality of life of participants through self-expression.
- To encourage the development and maintenance of fine motor skills.
- To provide a constructive outlet for the creative abilities of our incarcerated population and the reduction of tension that may develop within the constraints of institutional life.
- To encourage continued participation in the creative arts following re-entry into the community.
Where available, music and art programs are offered as leisure time activities on a first come, first served basis. Inquiries should be addressed to the staff person in charge.