Students are instructed in the installation of air conditioning, refrigeration and heating units following blueprints and specifications, as well as diagnosis and repair of defective parts. Extensive practice is provided in soldering, pipe cutting, and threading.
This course provides the student entry level skills as an air conditioning, refrigeration, and heating mechanic and/or repairman. Opportunity to obtain an Environmental Protection Agency safe handler license for Air Conditioning and Refrigeration is available.
This course offers self-paced individualized instruction to develop student competencies in entry level skills as defined by modules.
There are no educational requirements to participate in this program.
National Center for Construction Education Research HVAC certification training program and A Safe Handler Exam certification are also available.
Job titles include:
- Refrigeration Mechanic
- Refrigeration Mechanic Helper
- Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Air Conditioning Mechanic Helper
- Air Conditioning Servicer
- Air Conditioning Servicer Helper
- Air Condition Installer (Domestic)
- Gas Appliance Serviceman
- Furnace Installer/Repairer
- Heating & Air Conditioning Installer/Servicer
- Heating & Air Conditioning Installer/Helper
- Inventory Clerk
- Tool Crib Attendant
Working conditions involve temperature changes, working from ladders and scaffolds, and heavy lifting.